Where can I teach?

Obtaining your teaching license through an approved program like the BA in Urban Education is essential if you want to work as an elementary teacher in Chicago Public Schools or other public school districts in Illinois.

Once you have completed your BA in Urban Elementary Education and earned your Illinois teacher licensure, you will be qualified to teach in elementary schools in Illinois as well as in every other state in the U.S. except Alaska, Iowa and Minnesota. States with reciprocity agreements are listed in the table below.


States With Reciprocity Agreements

Alabama Arizona Arkansas California
Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida
Georgia Hawaii Idaho Indiana
Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine
Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Mississippi
Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada
New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York
North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma
Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina
South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah
Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia
Wisconsin Wyoming