The MEd in Language, Literacies and Learning (LLL) program prepares educators to meet the unique challenges of language and literacy learning in a multicultural and digital world. The program promotes an expansive definition of literacy that includes digital as well as hands-on learning, with a focus on teaching in multicultural, multilingual urban contexts and addressing issues of language and literacy among English learners.
Advance your skills and expertise
The MEd allows you to become an expert in one or more of the following areas:
- Language and literacy instruction (including ESL, critical digital literacies) in elementary classrooms, secondary classrooms, and alternative settings such as out-of-school contexts and adult education contexts
- Language and literacy research and its impact on practice and policy
- Strategies for school, district, and curricular leaders to support language and literacy teaching and learning
Program graduates work on positions that build crucial reading and writing skills from early childhood education through adult education, and also serve as educational leaders.
Endorsements for licensed teachers
Students who already have their Professional Educator License (PEL) can earn endorsements to their license while earning their MEd:
- State of Illinois Reading Teacher Endorsement
- State of Illinois Reading Specialist Endorsement
- State of Illinois Bilingual Education Endorsement
- State of Illinois English as a Second Language Endorsement