Fall Deadline: December 1
NOTE: Faculty recommend new doctoral students for University Fellowships and Abraham Lincoln Fellowships. In order to be considered for a faculty recommendation, you must submit your application by November 15. Read more about the Fellowships.
- Applicants who are not currently registered graduate students at UIC must complete the UIC Graduate School application. Submit your application fee when completing the application.If you are a current graduate student at UIC and want to switch programs or degrees sought, add a second program or change to another program after earning a graduate degree (eg., master to doctoral program) you should complete the Request for Change of Graduate Program instead of the application. Please read the Instructions for the Change of Graduate Program form if you are not sure which one to fill out.
- Complete the online College of Education application.
- The following documents should be uploaded online upon receiving email instructions after completing the UIC Graduate School application. -Upload undergraduate transcripts for your last 60 hours of the undergraduate degree and all graduate transcripts.-TOEFL or IELTS test scores for international applicants only
-Three letters of recommendation. These letters should address the applicant’s academic qualifications, research ability/experience and ability to carry on advanced degree studies. Letters may be from current or former professors or supervisors.
-Goal Statement. Discuss the kinds of skills, abilities, and understandings that you would anticipate acquiring in a doctoral program. Describe how this interest relates to your personal experience and to your professional and scholarly goals at this time. Faculty will evaluate your essay in terms of its clarity and cohesiveness, and how well your interests match those of the faculty. Please limit your essay to no more than 2,000 words. Submit with the goal statement cover sheet.
- Submit GRE test score to UIC.
- If being considered for admission, the applicant will participate in a face-to-face or phone interview with faculty.
For information about College of Education application and interview, contact the Special Education office at (312) 996-5650.