Program Mission Heading link
The mission of the Urban Higher Education master’s program is to develop principled leaders in higher education who understand the urban context, promote equity and diversity, collaborate effectively, and use evidence-based strategies to improve professional efficacy.
Six key themes guide the program:
- The urban context offers specific opportunities and presents complex challenges
- Higher education needs to build and maintain equity and authentic diversity
- Everyone in the organization is a leader, change agent and advocate who contributes to the continued improvement and advancement of the institution
- Principled leadership and ethical behavior are the foundation for sound professional practice
- Teamwork and collaboration are crucial for continuous organizational improvement and advancement
- Best practice in higher education requires evidence-based and data-informed decision-making
Students can choose between two areas of emphasis depending on their interests and career goals: Leadership, Governance, Organization and Policy, or Institutional Research for Decision Making.