Student jobs in the College of Education
Programs and faculty within the College of Education hire students throughout the year for various research, educational, and administrative activities.
Graduate Assistant (2 Positions): Math & Science High School Equivalency (HSE) Instructors
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach High School Equivalency (HSE) Math and Science classes in English designed to serve the educational needs of Head Start/Child Care parents and community members.
- Assess and track students’ progress on IL ABE/ASE Content Standards.
- Collaborate with Literacy Coach to develop lesson plans, individual education/transition plans and, evaluate students’ progress on their goals.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings which promote Family Start Learning Center programs, services, and program improvement initiatives.
Classrooms are off-campus, at local UIC Center for Literacy offices:
- FAST South in the King Center (Bronzeville), 4314 S Cottage Grove, Chicago, IL 60653
- FAST West (Garfield Park), 10 S. Kedzie, Chicago, IL 60612
Start Date & Hours
Position begins in January 2020. 20 hours/week, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.. This schedule is not flexible. Commitment: At least one year, and two years preferred.
Email your resume, cover letter, and three references to Barbara Travis at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by January 15, 2020. No phone calls please.
Minimum education and work experience (including years) to qualify for position:
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field required with 1-year literacy teaching/tutoring preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills required.
- Knowledge of adult/family literacy and Head Start/Child Care programs desirable.
- Educator license to teach high school grades is a plus (not required)
- Cultural competence and willingness to travel off-campus in various Chicago communities