Our doctoral programs are nationally recognized for preparing high-quality researchers, higher education leaders, principals and superintendents:
- PhDs in Curriculum Studies, Literacy, Language and Culture and Mathematics and Science Education focus on critical analysis of curriculum and instruction in classrooms.
- The PhD Educational Psychology program offers two strands focused on educational assessment and human development and learning.
- PhD Educational Policy Studies concentrations examine both educational organization and leadership as well as the social foundations of education.
- The PhD Special Education program focuses research and advocacy toward the needs of urban children with special education needs.
- Finally, the EdD Urban Education Leadership program is nationally ranked for its development of principals, superintendents and school leaders.
Doctoral Degree Programs
All PhD programs admit students for Summer and/or Fall semesters. There is no Spring semester admission for PhD programs.
The deadline to apply for Summer or Fall admission to PhD programs is December 1. However, prospective students who wish to be considered for University Fellowships and Abraham Lincoln Fellowships, which require a faculty recommendation, must apply by November 15.
The EdD Urban Education Leadership program admits new students starting in the Spring semester only. The application deadline for the EdD program is July 15.