Associate Professor of Social Foundations of Education
Building & Room:
1040 W. Harrison St. (MC 147), Chicago, IL 60607
Nicole Nguyen is associate professor of social foundations of education. Immersed in political geography, critical education studies, and critical sociology, Nicole's research ethnographically investigates the intersections of national security, war, and US public schooling. Nicole teaches classes on the criminalization of youth in urban schools, school militarization, and the sociology of education. She also leads the College's Creating Cultural Competencies endowed initiative, which includes curricula and teacher workshops related to countering anti-Muslim racism in schools and classrooms.
2014 - PhD, Syracuse University, Cultural Foundations of Education
2010 - MA, New York University, International Education/Education in Emergencies
2008 - BA, Syracuse University, English Education and English & Textual Studies
- 2017 Globe Book Award, American Association of Geographers
- Reviewed in: American Journal of Sociology, Contemporary Sociology, Educational Review, Security Journal, The Canadian Geographer, Teachers College Record, Anthropology & Education, H-Net, and Race & Class
Nguyen, N. (2019). Suspect communities: Anti-Muslim racism and the domestic war on terror. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Nguyen, N. (in press). Rethinking activist educational research: Definitions, methodologies, and ethics. Critical Studies in Education.
- Lizotte, C.* & Nguyen, N. (in press). Schooling from the classroom to the state: Understanding schools as geopolitical sites. Environmental and Planning C: Politics & Space.
- Nguyen, N. (in press). On geopolitics and education: Interventions, possibilities, and future directions. Geography Compass.
- Nguyen, N. (2019). "The eyes and ears on our frontlines": Policing without police to counter violent extremism, Surveillance & Society, 17(3/4), 322-337.
- Waitoller, F., Nguyen, N., & Super, G.* (2019). The irony of rigor: Understanding steering away practices in charter schools, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 32(3), 282-298.
- Nguyen, N. (2018). Educating force multipliers: Constructing terrorism in a US public high school, Discourse: Studies in the Cultural Politics of Education, 39(6), 841-855.
- Nguyen, N. (2018). "That's just my own homeland security instinct": Teaching terror in times of war, Critical Military Studies, 4(1), 17-33.
- Nguyen, N., Cohen, D.* & Huff, A.* (2017). Catching the bus: A call for critical geographies of education. Geography Compass, 11(8).
- Nguyen, N. (2017). From school militarization to school securitization: National security finds its place in schools, Critical Studies in Education, 58(1), 52-68.
- Nguyen, N. (2015). Chokepoint: Regulating student mobility through biometrics, Political Geography, 46, 1-10.
- Nguyen, N. (2014). Education as warfare?: Mapping securitized education interventions as war on terror strategy, Geopolitics, 19(1), 109-139.
- Nguyen, N. (2013). Scripting ‘safe’ schools: Mapping urban education and zero tolerance during the long war, Review of Education, Pedagogy, and Cultural Studies, 35(4), 277-297.
Refereed Book Chapters
- Nguyen, N. (in press). The school-security nexus and the changing geographies of the state. In A. E. Jonas, N. Koch, C. Lizotte, J. Luukkonen, & S. Moisio (Eds.), Handbook on the changing geographies of the state: New spaces of geopolitics. Cheltenham, United Kingdom: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Nguyen, N. & Kaufman, E.* (2019). Biometrics technologies. In B. Warf (Ed.), Oxford Bibliographies, New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Nguyen, N., Nastasi, A.W., Mejia, A., Stanger, A., & Madden, M. (2016). Epistemic friendships: Collective knowledges and feminist praxis (postscript by Chandra T. Mohanty). In E.H. Chowdhury & L. Philipose (Eds.), Dissident friendships: Imperialism, feminism, and the possibility of transnational solidarities. Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press.
Invited Book Reviews
- (2018). Contemporary Sociology: Sabina Vaught (2017), Compulsory: Education and the dispossession of youth in a prison school, University of Minnesota Press.
(2020). Rising Up with Sonali, KPFA radio, Suspect communities: Anti-Muslim racism and the domestic war on terror (book interview)
(2019). Vice, 2020 candidates want to fund a program used to surveil Muslims on social media (news interview)
(2019). Chicago Reporter, Report: Illinois’ Countering Violent Extremism programs struggle to gain community partners (news interview)
(2019). WBEZ Worldview, Do anti-extremism tactics harm Muslim and Arab communities? (news interview)
(2018). Chicago Reader, The problem with the ‘public health’ approach to ideological violence. (news interview)
(2017). In These Times, We can't fight Trump-style hate with the surveillance state (news interview)
(2017). Chicago Tonight, Chicago group opposing neo-Nazis planned to target jihadists, too (news interview)
(2017). Wallet Hub, 2017’s states with the most at-risk youth (news interview)
(2017). Chicago Tonight, Recruiting America’s future hackers – On Chicago’s west side (news interview)
(2017). Voice of America, US groups focused on ‘countering violent extremism’ still waiting for funds (news interview)
(2017). Chicago Tonight, Illinois agency awarded controversial counter-extremism grant (news interview)
(2017). Againist the Grain, KPFA radio, book interview
(2016). The Majority Report, book interview (interview begins at 13:25)
(2016). Rising Up with Sonali, KPFA radio, book interview
(2016). Pacific Standard, book feature with an interview
(2016). Alternet, book feature
(2016). New Books in Education, book interview
- Nguyen, N. & Southorn, D. (2019). Suspected and surveilled: A report on Countering Violent Extremism in Chicago.
- Nguyen, N. & Krueger, S.* (2016). Letter to Congress. (cited by the Brennan Center for Justice and the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine).
- Nguyen, N. (2016). When Homeland Security goes to school: A close encounter with the new normal imposed by the global war on terror, University of Minnesota Press Blog.
- Nguyen, N. (2015). Education scholars: Challenging racial injustice begins with us [commentary], Education Week, 34(36).
- Nguyen, N. (2014). Homeland security goes to school, The Feminist Wire. (reprinted in Truth-Out)
- Nguyen, N. & Catania, R.T. (2014). On feeling depleted: Naming, confronting, and surviving oppression in the academy, The Feminist Wire.
(* indicates graduate students)
Globe Book Award, American Association of Geographers
ED 200: Educational Policy Foundations
ED 373: Introduction to the School-Prison Nexus
EDPS 543: The Criminalization of Youth in Urban Schools
EDPS 572: Sociology of Education
EDPS 596: Writing a Qualitative Dissertation
Social Foundations of Education doctoral program co-coordinator
Policy Studies Doctoral Student Writing Group faculty advisor
Undergraduate Course Committee member
Graduate Student Interest Group Urban Anthology faculty advisor
Doctoral Program Steering Committee member
Student Writing Subcommittee member
Summer Writing Retreat faculty organizer
Chancellor's Committee on the Status of Asian Americans member
Arab American Cultural Center advisory board member
Asian American Resource and Cultural Center advisory board member
Honors College faculty fellow
Race and Empire Working Group facilitator
Sawyer Seminar Working Group member
American Association of Geographers, Critical Geographies of Education Specialty Group co-founder and secretary
New York University, International Education Alumni Council ambassador
Syracuse University, School of Education Board of Visitors member
Society & Space
Journal of Educational Policy
Journal of International Relations and Development
Transformations: The Journal of Inclusive Scholarship and Pedagogy
Educational Policy Analysis Archives
Asia Pacific Journal of Education
Politics and Space
Cambridge University Press
American Educational Research Association
American Association of Geographers
American Educational Studies Association
National Women's Studies Association
American Studies Association