596 Independent Study Course Request
For Graduate Students
College of Education graduate students requesting to register for a 596 Independent Study (between 1-4 semester hours of credit) must complete the form below. Independent Study courses can include research, reading, and active participation directed toward a problem related to a student area of specialization.
Please note, students are not automatically registered for independent study by completing this form. You must register for the course yourself by accessing your student account via my.uic.edu after approval has been processed.
Eligibility & Restrictions Heading link
- A project proposal, which represents both goals and methods of inquiry, is required and must include a general statement about the final report: items to be covered, approximate length, etc.
- It is the student’s responsibility to obtain ALL registration information and to ensure that all registration information is correct by checking the UIC Schedule of Classes PRIOR to filling out this form.
- Students with a hold on their account, and/or whose submission does not meet the criteria for the independent study, will not receive a permit to register for Independent Study.
Approval, Registration & Documentation Heading link
- Once a student receives approval, they must register themselves BEFORE the 10th day of the semester (5th day for Summer Session).
- Prior to attempting to register for the class, please allow at least two business days for the permission to be activated in the registration system.
- Students have 3 calendar days to register after permission has been activated. Permission to register will expire in the registration system at the end of the third day after activation.
- At the end of the course, the instructor will write an evaluation of the student’s final report and overall performance. This evaluation, as well as the proposal submitted below, will be retained in the student’s permanent academic file.
Request for 596 Independent Study Heading link
Please note that filling out this form is only the first step in the course request; it is not the same as registering for the course. After receiving approval, students must register for the 596 course via my.uic.edu (Banner XE Registration) before the official UIC course registration deadline.