Teaching, Research, and Graduate Assistantships
Guidelines for Appointments, Reappointments and Assignment for Assistantships Heading link
Periodically, administrative offices (Dean’s Office, Office of Student Services, Academic Affairs, Educational Technology Lab, and Research) in the College of Education seek to hire GAs to fill crucial roles. These positions also provide important professional experience and mentoring to graduate students.
When these positions are available, the college unit follows the following procedures:
- The college posts the open positions and circulates information via college communications (i.e., Chalkboard) and via College listservs for students, staff, and faculty.
- Interested students then can apply according to the deadlines and qualifications listed for each position, and to the designated person or unit making the hire.
- Reappointments are made as warranted, based on performance and funding.
- The qualifications and requirements for these GA positions will vary by the nature of the job duties.
- Applicants will be evaluated and hired based on their qualifications and alignment with the job description, but in general the following will be considered in making offers to GA applicants: a) Student has the capability to fulfill the job duties, b) Student has a demonstrated interest in the role, c) Student is in good academic standing and meeting expectations for quality and timeliness of work.
- Preference will be given to students with full standing in the College of Education.
Position appointments may be made for one semester or longer, depending on need and funding.
GA positions range from hourly appointments to 17%-67% appointments, depending on duties. Salaries are set by the terms agreed to by the GEO and University Administration.
Once hired, the hiring unit and designated supervisor will provide details on duties and expectations, work arrangements, and scheduling (including whether on campus or off campus/remote), including considerations for accessibility.
Appointments by Academic Departments Heading link
Academic departments may have separate policies for appointments, particularly for teaching assistantships. Current guidelines are linked below.